It’s Great to Let Go; I Should Have Started Sooner

_DSC0397

The post title is a quote from a TED Talk given by Chilean writer Isabel Allende. In her talk, she spoke about passion and how we’re never too old to follow our dreams (she’s 71). Be sure to watch her eight-minute video shown below.

Letting go has been on my mind as 2014 continues to give me ample opportunities to practice what I preach. We all know it’s much easier to preach than practice what we preach, right?

I’m not alone in the quest to let go.

Just yesterday, one of my friend’s posts hit my inbox. Admittedly, I groaned a bit as I read the title: Letting Go for Health and Happiness,” by Sandra Pawula.

Sandra, who writes Always Well Within, bemoans her continual over-push beyond her capacity. I love this part because I think she wrote it for me:

“I think it’s so important to be clear about our addictions, our impulses, and our edges.  So I offer you this question for personal reflection today:

Are you driven to repeatedly engage in a behavior that’s not really good for your health or happiness?  Is there a place in your life where you need to say, ‘I cannot do this anymore?’”

Oh, that’s so me. Right now, I’m in severe over-push mode to make money. You know, pay the bills, put a little back for the rainy days which are coming pretty frequently.

My business is riding a roller coaster of promised work, then wait. Get closer to a decision, then wait some more. Maddening as it is, that’s the nature of client work. Whatever.

Then there’s the possibility of a surprise oral surgery–me, who has no dental insurance. OMG–I need more work!

Sandra’s right. I am addicted to this response that follows virtually all my predicaments, “Okay, let’s figure this out now.” No matter what the “this” is, I’ll lose sleep, patience and serenity in my quest to find the right and perfect answer.

My sweetie reminded me yesterday that if I’m praying, I need not worry and if I’m worrying, there’s no point in praying. That was sort of an ouchie. Once again, I’m not practicing what I preach because worrying is definitely not mindful.

Back to Ms. Allende’s talk about passion

The good news is there is an antidote for not letting go of the things that worry me. Isabel Allende suggests focusing on my passion. After all, enthusiasm for my passion is mine to control.

Two things come to mind. First, I am passionate about writing, so while client work is finding its way to me, I can write my ass off. Then write some more.

Second, I can choose to constantly flip my “oh-my-god-what-am-I-going-to-do” thoughts to something positive. Luckily, my friend Tess Marshall sent me a link the other day to Hannah Marcotti’s website. Hannah is an incredible storyteller, poet and vision-maker who urges me to create a cut-and-paste vision book and then fill it with positive, soul-stirring pictures and words.

I’m doing it! Because one of the tenets of my life is the line from Field of Dreams: “If we build it, they will come.”

So, I’ll keep writing and visioning and believing. THAT is my passion.  What is your passion and how do you use it to overcome compulsive, perhaps addictive, thought patterns?

P.S. The photo accompanying this post reflects my belief in the abundance of life. Just as this tree has a seeming unending number of branches, so too do we have an unending supply of abundance in our lives–if we’re willing to see and believe.

Photo by jemolesky

1. Wendy says:

I can relate to the severe push to make money.

I wanted to mention a resource for your possible dental work. I needed a lot of work done a few years ago and I didn’t have dental insurance at the time. A lot of offices offer CareCredit as a way to space out payments. It was a lifesaver for me. Your dentist may offer that.

Hey Wendy!

I do know about Care Credit! You are so right–total lifesaver several times. The good news is I have no outstanding balance, at least for the moment. 🙂 Thanks for the tip!

2. Beautiful post, Beth. The abundance is there for us when we notice, but I’ve been there too when the peaks and valleys seem to take center stage. Best of luck with all that you have on your plate. I do think as we forge ahead, life seems to unfold for us and fortunately most of the time it all works out. Take care!

I’ve already noticed that just simply relaxing into not knowing what’s going to happen has taken a load off my shoulders! Today I know that everything is going to work out the way it needs to. Thank God for a little longevity and a little faith!

Sure appreciate your support!

3. Suzie Cheel says:

Must be in the air, I have just spent a day letting go, actually wrote Let Go And Let God and drowned it in water this morning. i know seeing the abundance around me as Cathy mentions helps, but sometimes the control demon read freak reappears and needs squashing- meditation is a help I find

Suzie, you probably know better than I, but does the lack of letting go that a bunch of us are experiencing have anything to do with the moon?

Never heard of drowning something as a way of letting go; fire works for me. Could be because my brother and I nearly drowned when we were children . . . wow, haven’t thought of that in awhile!

Control demon–excellent description. For some reason, I draw comfort in knowing I’m not the only one!

4. Yep Beth, it’s all up to us! The self-talk can make or break the rhythm of abundance if we let it in. I think worrying about money is a good thing to let go of – embracing the idea of abundance which is much bigger, and includes everything you need in all areas of life is a wiser choice. Excellent video and I love your ‘tree’ of life!

Hi Debra,

Thanks for your comment and your affirmation of embracing abundance. Right now it’s kind of moment by moment for me; the good news is I’m learning how to breathe through the moments of panic. My head knows the Universe is endlessly generous, but the long journey between my head and my heart can be a grueling one sometimes.

• I get it Beth and had those moments of panic, but can say when we let go and let the Universe handle the details (of course taking action by thought, feelings and steps toward our goal) miracles happen. Blessing to you – it’s a journey we all share and courage is required! LOL!

Love that, Debra: “courage is required.” When you think about it, believing that we can make miracles happen is a heady experience. Since there is no degree of difficulty in miracle-making, the most difficult part is simply learning to shift our thinking. You’re right–after that, we get to sit back and watch the unfolding (if we’re healthy!).

Thanks so much for your comment! Hope you’re enjoying a blessed weekend.

5. I could SO RELATE to everything you shared, Beth!! Thank you for writing this, and boy did I need to read your sweetie’s reminder: ” if I’m praying, I need not worry and if I’m worrying, there’s no point in praying,” and your resolutions to do what you’re passionate about. Thank you!

And don’t you know, Lisa, that I’m not too crazy when my sweetie is right! Ha! I am so famous for saying similar things to her and to others (because I’m so wise–again, HA!) but not so great for taking in those same words. Guess there’s a lesson in humility there.

So grateful today for ALL the lessons I learn, even the repeated ones. Grateful for you too and that you’re a part of my support network!

6. lynne says:

Great post! I’m sure most of your readers can relate to this. going through the process of letting go always seems difficult to do but through sheer determination we can do it.Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Hi Lynne,

Thanks for your kind words. I guess if we don’t eventually let go of something, we’ll find ourselves flailing like a turtle on its back–our load has become to much to bear. The only way to get right-side again means I have to leave something on the ground. I have to move on without it. Sometimes the letting go, or leaving behind, feels nearly impossible. But you’re right, it can be done. Heck, I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve done it!

So glad you stopped by. Your smiley face made me smile.

7. Sherill says:

Great read. I am living my passion and I can say that I have never been happier in my life than today. Letting go of negativity and working towards your goals while doing what you want has made me a better person, a happier person. Thanks for sharing!

Yay for you, Sherill! I’m discovering that there is little that is better than living your passion because when we’re happy, everything else just seems to fall into place. So glad you shared a bit here. Please stop back by again sometime!

All the best to you!