No Ice Buckets, Telethons or Parade Magazine Covers . . . Yet

NRM logo English purple outlines FINAL 800w

Confession time: I’m a little pissed, more than a little pissed, in fact.

Today is September 1, the start of the 25th annual National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month, as proclaimed by President Obama. Across the United States, for the entire month, there will be rallies, walks, community gatherings and more proclamations.

But there won’t be ice bucket challenges, weekend televised telethons or Parade Magazine covers.

Please don’t take my pissiness for ambivalence toward the ALS, MDA or cancer-fighting causes. I do care, I care deeply, but I’m jealous that the antidote for the nation’s #1 health crisis–recovery from addiction–gets proclamations instead of prime time.

For now. We’ve made a lot of advocacy headway, in large part thanks to the cross-country tidal wave of Greg Williams’ documentary, The Anonymous People.  Lots and lots of people are speaking out about the hopeful and healing nature of recovery.

While small pockets of folks are starting to get it, we have a long way to go in educating the public about how recovery benefits individuals, families, communities and our entire social structure.

And that’s enough of my rant; it’s only half of my reason for posting today.

How does recovery benefit you?

While there is a national and worldwide push for recovery advocacy that is good and necessary to coalesce one voice (with talking points, thank you, Lisa Frederiksen!), at B Here Today, we’re more interested in your recovery and what brings you peace in recovery.

Starting with today’s post, the scope of B Here Today will shift slightly. If you’ve followed for a while, you’ve noticed that Monday’s posts have a theme of being present and mindful, while Thursday’s posts are dedicated to a recovery theme.

Beginning today, we’re melding the two because we believe that solid recovery is steeped in presence and mindfulness.

When a person is open to a holistic approach to recovery, she or he will find peace in recovery. @bheretoday (Click to Tweet!)

There is no singular, correct approach to recovery and B Here Today supports whatever brings an individual to  joy and peace. The sky’s the limit on future post topics and while there may be an occasional post about a treatment center’s program, we’re not endorsing that particular treatment center.

The “new” B Here Today

We want your involvement in shaping our 2.0 edition of the blog. Please share your successes and set-backs in recovery. Ultimately, we’ll connect the information here with our social media sites to create a distinct and ongoing conversation about this idea of holistic recovery.

One thing to note: because addiction is a grim brain disease, by necessity there will be articles about the realities of the disease. You might see a post commentary after a celebrity death or after a stark example of stigma and discrimination.

If you have ideas for articles or would like to guest post, please send an email to me at beth@bheretoday.com. Over the next few weeks, you’ll notice some adjustments to the B Here Today site, all supporting the melded theme. Change is good, especially when followed by bold action (learned that one from Tess Marshall!)

Please be in touch with your suggestions and ideas about peaceful recovery through mindful living. Happy Recovery Month!

1. CEH says:

I hope there will be more awareness brought to addiction and recovery. After my mom died of alcoholic hepatitis, I told a friend: “There are no walks and 5k’s for people afflicted with addiction and who ultimately die from it.” Keep fighting the good fight!

2. fran simone says:

Your rant about the ice buckets and national visibility was spot on.

I have written a memoir (see website) about my journey with a loved one who died from the disease of alcoholism and my recovery. It’s estimated that approximately 100 million people are dealing with a loved one’s addiction. For the most part, we have been silent. Like you, I believe we must advocate for change. Stories are one way to do that. I have been asked to speak at the upcoming McShin Recovery Fest and have scheduled other events in September. I am happy to help in any way I can. Best, Fran

3. Cathy says:

Love the new focus Beth. You are so right that “solid recovery is steeped in presence and mindfulness.” They will work well together. Here’s to continual tweaking and evolving of this amazing blog. Thank you for all that you do. My hope as well is that more attention will be paid to addiction and recovery and the stigma and shame will become something of the past.

Hey Cathy!

I appreciate your support through this evolution. It just feels so right. We’re in this together, so Happy Recovery Month!

4. I am SO WITH YOU on this Beth!!! Thank you for raising this issue, and you said it so beautifully, respectfully well. And I love your new focus, “melding the two because we believe that solid recovery is steeped in presence and mindfulness.” Bravo!

5. Candace says:

For every one addict struggling with addiction of any sort, there are upwards of 10 or more loved ones who are affected: spouses, children, siblings, parents, cousins, grandparents, friends, colleagues, teachers, neighbours, etc etc….

These days, addiction seems to affect everyone in some way – I agree that it is THE most important health issue of our day. Thanks for being pissed, Beth – and for encouraging us to be pissed too!

Candace, sometimes I get on my soapbox and then second-guess myself for hitting “publish.” You’ve just confirmed that this is not one of those times. Thanks for that!

• fran simone says:

Candace,
      My recently published memoir deals with a loved one’s journey through the disease of two family members. It ends on a positive note of my recovery. Loved ones need tools to help them navigate through the stormy seas of addiction. Yes, it is THE most important public health issue today. Beth’s focus on recovery will reap many benefits for those suffering from the disease and their loved ones.

6. Howdy, Beth!

Well, nothing like a good rant – “pissiness” – to kick things off. I actually really do get it. Have always wondered why compulsive behavior, emotional/mental situations take a back seat to other more “popular” maladies (stigma, stigma, stigma???).

Exciting shtuff going on here – that’s very cool. I respect your vision and willingness to change. Looking forward to the new “flow.”

So what may I offer? Anything down the road – hopefully you know that. In the immediate? From Scott Stevens, author of Every Silver Lining Has a Cloud – “I want them to know that there is hope. Nobody is alone in this.” From Cathy Taughinbaugh’s interview.

Appreciate your dedicated work, Beth…

Bill